Sr. Research Scientist
MPI for Intelligent Systems
Department of Empirical Inference
My research focuses on large-scale machine learning and optimization. I design, analyze, and implement algorithms for applications in statistics, machine learning, data mining, and scientific computing. More generally, I am usually interested in all things computational and data driven!
Here's a link to my CV (updated: 15 Mar 2014).
- [17.07.2014]; New arXiv version of
Conic geometric optimisation on the manifold of positive definite matrices
- [15.06.2014]; New ECCV 2014 Paper
Riemannian sparse coding
- [06.06.2014]; Submitted a few NIPS papers! Good luck to all my co-authors!!!
- [01.06.2014]; Wow, I've already left CMU! so quickly it went by!!!
- [30.05.2014]; New Uncertainty in AI (UAI) paper
Fast Newton methods for the group fused lasso
- [25.04.2014]; New IEEE Transactions on Image Processing paper
Robust sparse hashing
- [13.04.2014]; New ICML 2014 Paper
Randomized nonlinear component analysis"
- [15.03.2014]; Serving as an Area Chair for NIPS 2014
- Teaching Advanced Optimization at CMU from Jan 13 onwards!
- [02.01.2014]; Serving as Associate Editor for Optimization Methods and Software
- [27.12.2013]; new arXiv version of
S. Sra, "Positive definite matrices and the S-Divergence"
- [11.12.2013]; new paper on Stochastic ADMM coming up! (ICML)
- [10.12.2013]; new arXiv version of
S. Sra, "Positive definite matrices and the symmetric Stein divergence"
- [04.12.2013]; arXiv version of
S. Sra, R. Hosseini, "Conic geometric optimisation on the manifold of positive definite matrices"
- [19.11.2013]; arXiv version of
S. Jegelka, F. Bach, S. Sra, "Reflection methods for submodular optimization"
- [25.10.2013]; New paper in IMA J. Numerical Analysis:
Correlation matrix nearness and completion under observation uncertainty
- [05.09.2013]; I'll be an Area Chair for ICML 2014
- [05.09.2013]; I'm on the Senior PC for AISTATS 2014
- [04.09.2013]; Two papers @NIPS2013
(S. Jegelka, F. Bach, S. Sra) Reflection methods for submodular optimization
(S. Sra, R. Hosseini) Geometric optimisation for positive definite matrices
- [01.09.2013]; Visiting ML Dept., School of CS, Carnegie Mellon University for 2 terms!
- [21.05.2013]; EE227A is over! Hopefully my lecture notes will be available soon!
- [15.03.2013]; Serving as an Area Chair for NIPS 2013
- [22.01.2013]; Teaching EE227A: Convex Optimization, EECS, UC Berkeley
- [08.12.2012]; Presented a short version of my new distance function at the NIPS Workshop on "Algebraic Topology and Machine Learning"
- [01.12.2012]; New paper: Similarity computations on positive definite matrices for fast nearest neighbor search. IEEE TPAMI
- [07.09.2012]; New paper: The multivariate Watson distribution: Maximum likelihood and other aspects" in J. Multivariate Analysis
- [03.09.2012]; Two papers @NIPS 2012
Large-scale nonconvex nonsmooth optimization
A new distance metric on the manifold of positive definite matrices
- [24.06.2012]; Speaking @ the NIMS Hot Topics Workshop on Positive Matrices and Operators at KNU, Daegu, Korea
- My work on Metric Nearness was selected to receive the SIAM Outstanding Paper Prize, 2011
- My Book on Optimization for Machine Learning (co-edited with S. Nowozin and S. J. Wright; Publisher: MIT Press) is available here. Here are links to Amazon and Barnes and Noble