Sr. Research Scientist
Max-Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems
Department of Empirical Inference
Email: suvrit AT gmail
My research focuses on large-scale data analysis and optimization. I design, analyze, and implement algorithms for applications in statistics, machine learning, signal processing, and computational science. More generally, I am usually interested in all things computational and mathematical, so don't hesitate to get in touch with me!
- [21.05.2013]; EE227A is over! Hopefully my lecture notes will be available soon!
- [15.03.2013]; Serving as an Area Chair for NIPS 2013
- [22.01.2013]; Teaching EE227A: Convex Optimization, EECS, UC Berkeley
- [08.12.2012]; Presented a short version of my new distance function at the NIPS Workshop on "Algebraic Topology and Machine Learning"
- [01.12.2012]; New paper: Similarity computations on positive definite matrices for fast nearest neighbor search. IEEE TPAMI
- [07.09.2012]; New paper: The multivariate Watson distribution: Maximum likelihood and other aspects" in J. Multivariate Analysis
- [03.09.2012]; Two papers @NIPS 2012
Large-scale nonconvex nonsmooth optimization
A new distance metric on the manifold of positive definite matrices
- [24.06.2012]; Speaking @ the NIMS Hot Topics Workshop on Positive Matrices and Operators at KNU, Daegu, Korea
- My work on Metric Nearness was selected to receive the SIAM Outstanding Paper Prize, 2011
- My Book on Optimization for Machine Learning (co-edited with S. Nowozin and S. J. Wright; Publisher: MIT Press) is available here. Here are links to Amazon and Barnes and Noble